Saturday, January 9, 2010

And Still We Rise Assignment 2

After reading this book review, I feel like I am going to enjoy this book very much. I have heard from all my classmates about what a good book this is. I will like this book because it has to deal with some of the things we have been talking about in my APGOV class. This book is expected to be very eye opening to me. I am not very aware of the public school system in South Central, La, so this book will teach me a lot. Honestly, I never read book reviews before buying a book. I usually just go by word of mouth. Sometimes I read the reviews of the book on the inside cover, but that is about it. This prompt makes me rethink my ways. I will start to look for reviews before I start on a long book. I really liked reading the book review Aunty provided for us because it got me excited to start the book. It gave me a preview of what I might take away from the book. I got to read what kind of effect it had on someone else before I started to read it. If my good friend tells me about a good book, then chances are I go check it out. My friends and I have similar book taste, so I usually enjoy their picks. The only problem with that is that it locks me into one genre. I will start reading book reviews to branch out in my reading choices! 

3 comments:

  1. A lot of your sentences started with "I". It'd be cool to change it up :]

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you about Mark Welche's review...I really enjoyed it and agreed with a lot of his points, and like you, I, too, am more excited to continue on with the book and learn more about life in South-Central LA for the gifted students.

    I don't usually read book reviews, either, but even though I really liked Mark Welche's review, I still don't plan on reading reviews before reading a book because I like to go in with a clean mind, to not know too much about the book or to know enough to influence me one way or another before I even read the first page. But I do appreciate and read others' opinions after I finish the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Advice Olivia! I loved your Assignment 1! It was a different perspective. This one was kind of short and I know it was to make your time goal!

    ReplyDelete