Saturday, January 9, 2010

And Still We Rise Assignment 1

My school is called Mililani High School. From the very start of my first day at Mililani, to where I am sitting right now, I have been thinking that there is just something special about this school that makes it stand out from the other nine schools I have attended. In my opinion, my school stands out from the others in three ways. First, I have outstanding teachers who try to the best of their abilities to prepare me for high school. Secondly, the atmosphere of the school feels like a “small town”. Last but not least, my school stands out because of my awesome classmates who make coming to school such a pleasure.

One might be thinking, what makes Mililani’s teachers stand out so much more than others schools’ teachers? Well, it is pretty simple. Mililani’s teachers not only excel in teaching each student the rigors of academics, but they also strive to get to know the student as a person, not just as a test score. My teachers truly care about my education as well as important aspects of my personal life.

One also might be wondering what make the atmosphere at my school so much better than the other schools. It does not feel like a home in a big city where you barely know your neighbors; it feels more like a small town where everyone is treated like family. If I had to explain Mililani’s atmosphere in three words, they would be safe, friendly, and nurturing.

More than anything, I think my peers at my school standout like no other. I really admire how they all work together to succeed. Almost everyone has a great attitude towards education and has set high goals for a higher standard of life. My peers at Mililani are the kind of people with whom I want to be life-long friends. Knowing full well that as an “Army brat” I will move again, my friends at Mililani will always be a part of my life.

Overall, my school truly stands out among all others. Words cannot express the devotion I have to my school and the gratitude I have for my teachers, my environment, and my classmates. My future will be a reflection of my year spent at Mililani and the positive impact it has had upon me. Thus, I am sure my future will be brighter due to my outstanding experiences at Mililani School.

Unfortunately, not every high school is like this. For example, the students at Crenshaw High School have to wake up every morning scared of the violence they may run into at school. Drugs, alcohol, and violence are their everyday lifestyle at school. Comparing Mililani High School and Crenshaw high school is like comparing a prison to a shopping mall. There are no similarities between the two schools. The only thing they have in common are students who want to succeed!

3 comments:

  1. Make sure not to miss Assignment 2 on the right sidebar. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the focus on Mililani High School rather than on Crenshaw, you have one of the few that describes our school more than 'theirs'. It has a lot more personal feel because you describe your experiences. The only thing I would suggest is to use more specific examples from the first 61 pages, like how Sam used a quote from the book that shares Olivia's experiences with the extention cord. Other than that, I feel like you really came through in your blog, not so generic and objective like some of ours, and by ours I mean mine ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. "There are no similarities between the two schools. The only thing they have in common are students who want to succeed!"

    I think the point of the assignment was to compare and contrast MHS and CHS. Your pride for your school is shown, but the point of the assignment is missed. How are the two schools alike? Different?

    ReplyDelete